Immigration attorneys and legal guidance for F1 students

f1 students

Immigration attorneys and legal guidance for F1 students

Moving from one country to a completely unknown country may sound like a task for many. All the rules, laws, and conditions change when you are in a foreign country. Each country has its laws regarding international students who wish to pursue studies in their country. It is thus important to be prepared before you travel to a foreign place. 

For F1 students, seeking legal advice in case of any breach of law is the best option. In this blog, we will provide you with links to sites to help to connect with advisors and attorneys for legal help.

What is an F1 visa?

An F1 visa is a student visa that is issued to international students who wish to enroll themselves in a university or college in the USA. Obtaining an F1 visa requires the collection of several documents. Many of these need to be properly attested by authorized personnel. The documents required for acquiring an F1 visa are as follows-

  1. An authentic passport with an extended stay duration of up to 6 months.
  2. Form I-20 issued by the selected college/university. 
  3. Form DS-160 (Non-immigrant application) 
  4. SEVIS Fee receipt
  5. Passport size photo (recent)
  6. Bank statement of at least three years. 
  7. ITR of the last two to three years.
  8. Birth Certificate
  9. Proof of the Residential Address
  10. Medical Certificate
  11. Score sheet of any authorized standardized exam like TOEFL, GMAT, and IELTS etc.
  12. Academic transcripts, previous degrees or certificates, work experience certificate.

After successful verification, the F1 visa is granted to the student. But on occasion, the students might come across certain hurdles which might pose a problem to their stay in the USA. 

In such cases, it is best to consult an International Student Advisor team and get the issue resolved. In case the issue needs detailed and experienced review it is best to connect with a legal advisor. 

The lawyer might charge you a consultation fee. It is up to you whether you wish to seek further assistance. 

US laws

The United States Constitution guarantees certain rights to the people residing in the country. Even the international students living in the USA have the same rights as US citizens. But there are certain laws that apply exclusively to international students. 

Legal advice 

  • Keep your F1 student visa ready at all times. Carry it with you wherever you go. 
  • Make sure that you attend the on-campus classes and maintain your full-time enrollment. 
  • Apply for program extension beforehand, in case the date of the program exceeds the time mentioned in your form I-20. 
  • Do not join employment without a proper Employment Authorization Document (EAD). 
  • Provide true answers to the immigration officer in case there is any doubt. 
  • Travel with all the proper documents if you plan to leave the US and return after a break.
  • Report to the International Student Advisor in case of a change of address.

In case you wish to search for a lawyer online you can refer to the site and search for an attorney district-wise from the e- directory.      

In case you are stopped at the airport for any mismatch in the documents or if there is any miscommunication of facts, I hope this link here helps answer your questions.

In case you are stopped by the US police, do not worry. Stay calm and answer all their questions. Show them the necessary documents. You can also refer to this short guide. 

If you are applying for an H1b, change of status or looking for legal guidance regarding your F1 visa, we’ve included some resources below.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Post comment